Wednesday, August 13, 2008

For the love of...

"Why, Microsoft? Why?!?"

Actually, what I've been saying to my work computer since last Thursday morning is much less repeatable than the quote above. Those of you who have the new Microsoft Office Suite may know what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't.........don't "upgrade"! It'll ruin your life and make you mentally insane.

I just don't get it. Word has been the same (for all intents and purposes) since I was about 13. That's many a year. Everything's been the same. But now, all of a sudden, Microsoft felt the need to spruce things up. Well, hell, Microsoft - you just cost my company gajillions. I have things to finish and a short time to complete them. How am I supposed to do that when I can't figure out the stupid "menus" that aren't really menus anymore. I searched for 15 minutes on Friday trying to figure out where the "Change Case" feature went.

Granted, the new version of the Office Suite is much prettier. If that's all you care about, by all means, buy the software. But as far as usability - forget about it! They've changed all the menus around. They have this new master button, which flashes color randomly, that houses "save", "print", and many other commands that used to be under the FILE menu. No more FILE menu, can you believe it??

Overall, I think Word is the biggest pain in the butt since the overhaul. Maybe that's because it's the one that I use the most. I do like the new calendar look in Outlook and there is some better functionality in Excel. But it's definitely not worth the wasted time spent looking for features that are no longer familiar.

No comments: