Sunday, October 5, 2008

1/3-life crisis, part II

So it's been a few weeks and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life. Don't get me wrong, my personal life is fantastic. It's just this working business that I'm trying to get straight.

At work, I keep having goals raised and more things added to my plate (all for the same salary, of course). The harder it gets, the more I wonder why I'm doing all of this anyway. Yeah, the money's decent but I help so many graduates find jobs where they make more money than I do. But regardless of money, even if I was given a significant raise, I'm not happy where I'm at.

Since my degree is in something general (Communication), I have no specific skills in anything other than what I've been doing for the past six years. Sure, I have tons of office experience but if I want to head in another direction I will: a) take a large paycut (which may or may not be do-able), or b) need to go back to school for additional training.

Things I'm potentially interested in:
  • politics - I'm pretty sure that nothing that I can do right now would pay very well.
  • writing - there aren't many jobs out there in this category unless you have published work already or can do technical writing. I've thought about writing a novel but what would I write about??
  • reading - I've thought about being a proofreader before but again, you need those published work samples.
  • Human Resources - I generally don't have enough experience for most HR jobs. The one I have enough experience for would be way too much of a pay cut.
  • recruiting - I'm not at all interested in recruiting for an employment agency. Most in-house recruiter positions I've found were either already guaranteed to someone in the company or not in an environment I'm interested in. Maybe I should be more open but I'd really like to work for an arts/design company - I don't know anything about financial, medical, or executive recruitment. Blah.
  • animals - I like animals but I'd probably want to bring them all home and that's not allowed. Plus I might get bitten and get rabies.
So that's where I'm at. Any thoughts?

No comments: